Saturday, October 25, 2008

Eve can cook.. so can you!

I'm finally back in my apartment for real! Since I've shifted into this apartment, I haven't really been staying in it.. it's because of the summer holidays and my O&G posting. So when I got back, I decided to make full use of my kitchen (yippie, I have my very own kitchen now.. only shared between me, my housemate and occassionally Kenn ;p) and attempted cooking!

PS: Remember.. Evie never cooks from scratch.. instant noodles and salads are her normal meals.

So what did I attempt to cook?
1) Beef Rendang
2) Belacan Kangkung
3) Red Bean Soup

I must say, the most difficult part of cooking these two dishes is not the actual cooking process.. it's buying the ingredients. I visited all the chinese grocery shops in Chinatown and another one near the university to get most of my ingredients.. but I couldn't find the most important one, BELACAN! So I bought some fish paste as a substitute.

The cooking process took quite long though.. because I had to grind every lil thing like onions, ginger and red onions individually because I did not have a blender but it was a success and I manage to cook up these 2 dishes plus a dessert for Kenn and my housemates.

EeWan boiled some chicken soup and Kenn cooked something too.. you should ask him what he cooked ;p

Evie cooking the rendang

EeWan gave the rendang.. thumbs up!

Belacan kangkung

A group pic.. with EeWan behind the camera.

So what do we need?
1) Beef Rendang
1½ lb beef cut into 1½ to 2-inch chunks
4 cups thick coconut milk
1 cup fresh coconut, finely grated
2 stalks lemongrass, slightly crushed
2-3 turmeric leaves
3 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tsp sugar salt and pepper

To blend:
4-5 tbsp
chili paste
1½-inch fresh ginger, peeled, sliced
1-inch galangal [lengkuas in Malay], peeled, sliced
1½ inch fresh turmeric root [kunyit basah in Malay], peeled, sliced
2 tsp coarse salt

To Prepare :
Season beef with salt and pepper, marinate for at least 30 mins
Using a mortar & pestle or blender grind galangal, ginger, turmeric root,
chili paste and kosher salt into a spice paste
In a dry heated pan, toast the finely grated coconut [meat] over low heat, keep stirring until golden brown. Allow to cool, then using a mortar & pestle, pound into a paste [called kerisik in Malay]
Heat wok on high, stir-fry spice paste 2-3 mins, add coconut milk, reduce heat and slowly bring to a gentle boil; stir often
Add beef and slow boil for 10 mins
Add lemongrass stalk, turmeric leaves [or kaffir lime leaves; or lime zest], sugar and season with salt and pepper
Reduce heat to low, uncovered, simmer for 1-1½ hrs; stir often with a spatula [be sure to 'scrape' the bottom of wok], add a little water if it starts to dry up too quickly]
Add the toasted coconut paste [kerisik] during the last 30 mins of cooking
When the beef is very tender - the gravy, thickens and oil starts to float on top - remove from heat and discard the lemongrass stalks and turmeric leaves
Serve Beef Rendang with steamed rice,
Nasi Lemak [Coconut Rice] or Lontong, a Malay Rice Roll

2) Belacan Kangkung
1lb Kangkung [also called Water Spinach or Water Convolvulus], washed well in water, drained and cut into 2-3 inch lengths
3 tbsp peanut or vegetable oil
1½ tsp sugar salt

To blend:
2 tbsp dried shrimp
3 tbsp or to taste,
chili paste
6 shallots, peeled
4 cloves garlic, peeled
2 tsp
belacan, also spelt belachan or blacan [dried shrimp paste]

To Prepare :
Soak dried prawns in hot boiling water till softened, drain, reserve some of the liquid
Using a mortar & pestle or blender, grind the softened dried prawns, shallots, garlic,
belacan, chili paste into a chunky paste
Heat wok on high, add 2 tbsp peanut or vegetable oil, stir-fry the paste for 1-2 mins, reduce heat cook until quite toasted and turns a shade darker - careful not to burn!
Add the kangkung, sugar, and salt if necessary [*Note: belacan is salty]
Stir-fry on high heat, about 2-3 mins
Dish onto a serving dish while it is still quite crisp and serve hot immediately

The outcome was great.. I was worried at first that I've made a mistake and added too much coconut milk, made Thai Red Curry instead.. but after letting it simmer for 1 1/2 hours the sauce dried up and became rendang sauce. On the other hand, I put too little coconut milk and the dish was a bit too spicy for the rest of the people. The Belacan Kangkung turned out just nice, and finally I get to eat a belacan kangkung that's spicy!

No comments: